Thursday, November 17, 2011

The source of life

Galatians 3:2  "I would like to learn just one thing from you!  Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?"

Paul is speaking here to the new believers in Galatia who are being swayed by "Judaizers" who taught that obedience to the law, not faith, was the foundation of Christianity.  Paul asks a rather simple question, but one that should bring the debate into clear focus for believers.  He contends that life comes from faith in, and acceptance of, Jesus' sacrifice for us.  The Holy Spirit was given to us to do good works in us and through us.  What life has ever been given by adhering to a set of laws?

I can think back on my own walk and see that my times of obedience are not the times I have felt closest to God.  In fact, the times I have felt closest to God have nothing to do with anything I have done.  The closest times with God have come when I have seen Him at work around me.  The times I have observed Him transforming my life and the lives of those around me are the times I have been given life by the Spirit. 

Anytime we find ourselves more concerned with following a set of rules than in letting the Spirit work in us, we should ask ourselves Paul's question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home