Monday, May 14, 2012

Our real purpose

Isaiah 43:7  "Everyone who is called by My Name, whom I created for My glory, whom I formed and made."

I remember vividly the excitement and anticipation I had several years ago as I prepared to read The Purpose-Driven Life.  I was in a difficult stage of my life, and desperately wanted to know in what direction God wanted me to go.  I hoped that this book would provide answers to questions I had regarding choices I should make in my life and how I should shape my day-to-day earthly life.

The book did provide some useful framework to use in certain circumstances, but I still felt lost when I finished reading it.  I wanted the book to give me a clear roadmap of where I should go and what I should do.  I really wanted a step-by-step action plan, and was disappointed when I didn't get one.

In hindsight, I now understand what the book's message is regarding our purpose in life.  Each of us has different giftings and callings, but at the core we all have the same purpose.  As Isaiah says in the verse above, we are all created for God's glory.  We were all made to know, love and worship God.  The rest of life is made up of details whose importance pales in comparison to this purpose.

What job we hold or where we live can certainly provide us with opportunities to use our giftings and talents, while glorifying God in the process.  But we all have one and only one purpose- to love God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home